Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

D-I-Y Nappturaliciously: My Two Favorite Drugstore Hair Finds!

Let's face facts: I am unemployed, and broke!!! While I am grateful as all holy hell for the weekly compensation given to me by the New York State Department of Labor, it really doesn't allow me to go crazy on my hair care products. It's times like these I wish I was a more popular blogger, so I can get scores of freebies! LOL

You can totally send me some, though! Just sayin'.... I mean, look at this punim, doesn't it inspire you to WANT to send products?!?!?

But alas, I'm not... so I have to work with what I got, within my modest budget. I've also put myself on a temporary spending freeze when it comes to purchasing products, which means that I am using up a lot of the more expensive brands I purchased when I had a steady paycheck, in addition to using products I've grabbed on a whim from my local Duane Reade. Two products in particular have worked themselves into my weekly routine, so I thought that it would be a great idea to share them with you because.. that's pretty much what I do, isn't it? LOL

Shea Moisture Restorative Hair Conditioner ($9.99 at most stores). Now, my wet hair is not crazy about this stuff.. like, at all! But when I tried it on my hair when dry, Whooo!!! Magic Happened!! I use this every night before bed, when I put my hair into two (or four) braids before wrapping it. I love how my hair looks when I take the braids down in the morning.

Kuza Coconut Oil Conditioner and Hair Dressing ($3.99 at most stores) I can almost hear the collective gasp in the natural hair universe. "Hair... grease?!?!" Yes, hair grease. My hair L-O-V-E LOVES this stuff!!! I don't apply this to my scalp, because... I'm not crazy, but this is another product that I use once or twice a week to maintain my braid outs. And the smell is AWESOME!!!

I've been using both products since the beginning of the year, and I am very pleased with the results thus far. Do any of you use Drugstore brands for your hair? Leave a comment with your faves!!

10 comments:

  1. So, the Shea Moisture item is a leave in? Or do you just use it as a leave in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use it as a rinse out or leave in. I've tried it both ways on wet hair, and didn't really like the results, but I love it on my dry hair!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tresemme Naturals conditioner, V05 conditioner, Suave conditioner, and Garnier Pure Clean gel are all winners for my hair!

    oneand20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard nothing but good things about the VO5 Conditioner. I think I will grab a bottle on my next visit! Thanks so much for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this post exactly word for word, lol.  I too am relying on more expensive products that I purchased in the past. In terms of drugstore brands, I have found success with Organic Root Stimulator products, especially the Olive Oil Replenishing Pack. I have also heard good things about their lock and twist gel.

    Talijaah Waajid products are also pretty good. I love the Protective Mist Bodifer as a leave-in.

    Also have to chime in for the VO5 conditioners. Suave Professionals also has some nice conditioners-they are a step above VO5. Most cheapie cholesterol conditioners in the tubs are pretty good too.

    Ok reading back over this list makes me feel better. I WILL SURVIVE (temporarily) without my Kinky Curly, etc, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ORS Replenishing Paks, that was actually one of my staple products for years... Even when I was working and could afford more expensive DCs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went into Target last night, and I realized something: In the "ethnic" section, there are more products catering to naturals than traditional ones (about 3/4 vs 1/4).  The tide has turned, lol. I saw everything from Miss Jessies, to Hair Rules, Kinky Curly, Curls, Mixed Chicks, Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Taaliah Waajid, ORS and I can't even remember what else. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Same here. However, I don't like the bottle as much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on that!  I also really kind of like Dr. Miracle's Tingling Deep Conditioner. It's a good alternative to ORS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoah!!! How crazy and awesome is that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete