Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Miss Moon's Book Club: My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due

My latest pick for Miss Moon's Book Club, My Soul to Keep is a part of a trilogy of novels I had no idea was a trilogy!! LOL


I read the second book, Blood Colony first (not realizing it was a sequel), and happened upon the third book The Living Blood, and after the first three pages, was like "Hey... I know these people!" Once I figured out that My Soul to Keep was the first book, I knew I had to read it to discover the origins of Jessica Wolde's amazing tale. Reading the first book was a bit painful, I admit. I won't get into any spoilers, but it was difficult to read because I already knew so much about what will happen from the later novels.

Synopsis from tananarivedue.com:

JESSICA is a Miami investigative reporter with a beautiful daughter, Kira, and a husband, David, so loving, brilliant, and attentive that she calls him Mr. Perfect. Suddenly, her life takes a terrifying turn. Her best friend is brutally and mysteriously murdered and Jessica discovers an ancient, unimaginable danger that will shatter her life and family -- forever.

DAWIT is an immortal. More than four hundred years ago he and a sect of Ethiopian scholars traded their souls for eternal life. Obeying a vow of secrecy, Dawit has traveled the world as a soldier, a slave, a jazz musician -- never staying anywhere long enough for others to notice that he does not age. As further insurance, with barely a thought he kills any mortal who dares to become too curious about him. For the first time, though, it is Dawit who threatens to break his vow and defy his brothers by keeping his beloved mortal wife and child with him -- forever.

In My Soul to Keep, the worlds of Jessica and Dawit collide with harrowing, unforgettable consequences as Jessica learns firsthand the terrible price for eternal life. The newest novel by Tananarive Due, acclaimed author of The Between, it is a shocking, brilliantly plotted work of suspense and the supernatural that astonishes until the final, remarkable page.

Reading My Soul to Keep did clear up a lot of questions I had about the second and third books, specifically regarding Jessica's relationship with Dawit/David. It was a beautifully written novel, rich with characters you will want to root for and learn more about. I am looking forwarding to re-reading all three novels in order this summer!!


To read an excerpt of the novel, please click here. If you like what you've read, be sure to check it out in paperback!



Have you already read My Soul to Keep? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the novel. Be sure to leave a comment. Also, I hope to make Miss Moon's Book Club an reoccurring trend in the blog. If you have a book you'd like to suggest for a future post, be sure to drop me a line with your recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment