Photobucket
Photobucket

Thursday, March 10, 2011

DOPE: "Last Night" by Saul Williams

Many things, even poems, aren't always what they seem. Take this poem by Saul Williams, as seen on the (HORRIBLY missed by me!) television program, "Girlfriends". What may sound like a romantic and seductive poem on the surface is actually a poem about the rampant spread of HIV and AIDs in the continent of Africa.



In honor of National Women and Girls’ HIV/AIDS Awareness Day and of course, Rock the Red Pump™ Day, this week's poem with strong imagery and a very powerful message. I dedicate this to the Women and Children affected by HIV and AIDs in Africa, the U.S. and the entire world. Remember that Awareness is the key, so get tested. Click here to find local HIV/STD Testing sites in your area.



Last Night

Last night I laid within your continent
Sought salvation from frustration
with in your loving nation
found the true meaning of homeland
when you let me inland
Swahili tongue knew I hadn’t been there before
kissed for me to stay awhile
I did you one better and stayed forever, in your country
Then you let me tap your virgin drum
releasing echoes of me being free
Free to run through your countryside
touching jasmine, dropping weed
Free to nibble on your Nigeria
Blow on your Botswana
Eat your Opia til there is no more Opia left
Won’t be any leftovers when I’m done
Won’t be anything when I’m done
Just remembrance of that night when I laid within your continent
seeking salvation from frustration within your loving nation
and that’s all we’ll have
That, and a few thousand orphans to read this poem

2 comments:

  1. Saul Williams is a phenomenal writer.

    Frankie A. Soto
    www.hiddenlegacy.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Thanks so much for visiting, Frankie! :)

    ReplyDelete