Photobucket
Photobucket

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Be Blessed: And Be a GOOD Friend (To Yourself!)

" If you must love your neighbor as yourself, it is at least as fair to love yourself as your neighbor." ~ Nicholas de Chamfort

" If you had a friend who talked to you like you sometimes talk to yourself, would you continue to hang around with that person? " ~ Rob Bremer

" It is not selfish or narcissistic to love yourself. It is your first and foremost responsibility." ~ Alan Cohen



If you are anything like me, you are a lot more forgiving to others than you are to yourself. I know that it is a process I continually work on, and I've grown a lot over the years.

A part of my progress came from seeing myself as a friend and treating myself as such. When sad or discouraged, I would internally say the comforting words I would say to any friend in the same position. And I felt comforted!

For most of my life, it was the exact opposite. I had an inner "Mean Girl" that couldn't wait to tell me how much I sucked. If there were any imperfections about my day, the spotlight would prominently display them in my mind.

That Mean Girl is still here, I'm sure. But like any toxic frenemy, I'm not checking for her anymore. I don't need that kind of drama in my life!!



Today, I will begin to treat myself with the same fierce sister-love I'd give to my best friends in the world!!

2 comments:

  1. I am working on that too. Every morning after thanking the creator for waking me up and washing up I look in the mirror and say a mantra reminding me that I am worthy.

    ReplyDelete