Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Champions of Crackheadedness: DJ Cipha Sounds & HIV Prevention



I haven't listened to Hot97 since I was in my teens, but from hearing about DJ Cipha Sounds heartless and ignant as hell comments, I am guessing that the NY based Hip Hop and R&B radio station has come a long way from the Roll Call with Ed, Lisa and Dre back in the 90s.

"The reason I'm HIV negative is because I don't mess with Haitian girls," DJ Cipha Sounds said Friday morning on air. After a deluge of complaints were phoned in to the radio station, he quickly apologized "I made a stupid tasteless joke that was a one-liner and taken totally the wrong way and I want to say sincerely that I apologize," he said.

Please explain to me the RIGHT WAY the comment was supposed to be taken...I am still scratching my head about that one.



While I do not believe that DJ Cipher should be fired outright, primarily because I think everyone should have an opportunity to right their wrongs and to . I think, like expressed by a woman in the video, that this incident should be used as an opportunity to spread awareness about HIV and Aids and to in kind educate the younger or more ignorant listeners about protection. And apparently Emmis Communications, the owner of Hot 97 plans to do just that, so I guess only time will tell if this will turn into something that will... in the long run, be educational and life-saving to someone out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment