Photobucket
Photobucket

Monday, July 20, 2009

Yay! My first attempt at Kinky Twists is a success!!!

Sunday morning I started my kinky twists, armed with the willingness to take on the task, a fantastic big sister who was willing and able to come to my aid and a plethora of how to videos from YouTube.

My hair grows a bit faster during the summer, so it is my goal to leave these kinky twists in until September to a) give my hair a must needed rest and b) help facilitate growth.










This is the hair I used. It's 100% Kanekalon, and I must say it went a long way. I used three bags for my entire head, which rocks, because I usually went through 8 or 9 bags to do my usual braided hair style.





I read that I should use the yellow wave rods, but blue is my favorite color... so I had to get the blue ones!! LOL














This is me with 1/2 the twists done. By 5 o'clock, I was exhausted and I decided to pick the rest up today. Granted, I had all of 30 twists to go, but tired is tired!

Here is a close up of the twists. I am so proud of the job!










I finished them up this afternoon this is how they looked all rolled up in the rods, waiting for dipping.








And ta-da!!!



I am so happy with the results. I think that my sister and I did a great job for this being our first time doing them.





Now I know originally, I said I was going for a Tracee Ellis Ross kinky twists version, but as I was doing them, I decided to go longer. My inspiration was Solange Knowles in her "Sandcastle Disco" video. Sort of a curly, Donna Summers-esque style.


















Not sure if I was successful in translating the inspiration, kinky twist style, but I like 'em!

I am still researching a care regimen for them, which I will be sure to post when I figure out what I am going to do. All I know for certain is that I am going to co-wash them (using diluted conditioner in a spritz bottle)... but that's about it. Any suggestions?

2 comments: